Academic Misconduct & Grievances

For the Faculty

Please become familiar with the Student Misconduct procedures, which are the outcome of a University committee, consultation with academic units, and approved by the Faculty Senate (revision approved Spring, 2010).

Code of Academic Integrity

On November 28, 2001, the Student Government Association adopted the Code of Academic Integrity, which can be incorporated into syllabi, distributed prior to an exam, or employed in any way that might help to prevent academic misconduct. Please be advised that requiring students to sign the pledge may not be enforceable; however, you may ask students to sign an acknowledgment that they have read the Pledge.

Academic Misconduct Procedures

When you suspect a student of having plagiarized, cheated, or committed any other misconduct defined in the Student Handbook,
  • Do a preliminary investigation, which would involve gathering what evidence you can from web search engines, secondary sources, etc.
  • For undergraduate students, contact Ellie Victoriano (305-348-2800),, or for graduate students, contact Irene Baquero (305-348-3342), to determine if the student has a prior record of misconduct. If the student does, then the issue cannot be resolved informally and you need to file a Formal Complaint form.
  • Meet with the student within fourteen (14) calendar days of becoming aware of the alleged misconduct to confront him/her with your suspicions and your evidence. Listen to his/her explanations.

If you feel your allegations give you probable cause to initiate Formal or Informal misconduct procedures, indicate to the student that you are either willing to resolve the issue informally or that you intend to file formal charges.

Informal Resolution

If you offer the student an Informal Resolution, you need to agree with the student as to what are the acceptable sanctions. Any sanctions listed in the Student Handbook, other than suspension or expulsion may be agreed upon in an Informal Resolution. Any sanction such as requiring community service or requiring the student to take a specific course, for undergraduate students, should be in consultation with Dr. William Beesting, Associate Dean of Undergraduate Education, or for graduate students, Sonja Montas-Hunter, Assistant Dean of University Graduate School, in order to discuss the enforcement of such a sanction. Enforcement would normally be done by either Undergraduate Education or the University Graduate School. Suspension or expulsion can only be given as the result of the filing of a Formal Resolution.

Inform the student that if he/she has a record of an Informal Resolution they may petition the Dean of Undergraduate Education or designee to have the record expunged one semester prior to graduation. During the semester prior to graduation, the student must request the expungement in writing to the Dean of Undergraduate Education or designee. Records of Formal Resolutions are permanently kept in the Undergraduate Education office

You must file an Informal Resolution Form and have the student sign his/her consent. The student has three (3) business days to cancel the agreement in writing, after which the Consent Agreement becomes binding. The complainant will file the form with either Undergraduate Education or the University Graduate School no later than seven (7) calendar days after the meeting.

Formal Resolution

If no Informal Resolution is forthcoming, or you believe the nature of the misconduct is egregious enough not to warrant an Informal Resolution, you must complete the Formal Misconduct Form and file it with either Undergraduate Education (for undergraduate students) or the University Graduate School (for graduate students) no later than seven (7) calendar days after the date of the meeting with the student. Along with the Formal Misconduct Charge, you must also provide what evidence you have and indicate your willingness to participate in the Formal Misconduct procedures as outlined in the Student Handbook).

Note: A Formal Resolution does not automatically result in sanctions of suspension or expulsion. All necessary forms and a copy of the Pledge can be obtained at your dean's office or by downloading them from the links on the right side of this page. If you have any questions for undergraduate student procedures, please contact Ellie Victoriano at 7-2800.